1908, Stephen Carver started construction of the Corvallis
and Alsea River Railway Company. The line reached this little
settlement, named because of its location near the top of
one of the foothills of the Coast Range, when money ran out. The situation is not particularly alpine in character but is
attractive nevertheless. The community took its name from the
Alpine School. This school had been operated with the name
for several years prior to the time the community was started. The railroad was sold to the Southern Pacific Company in 1912. The post office was established the same year and finally
closed in 1976.