community was named for Peter Andrews, who settled in
Wildhorse Valley about 1880. The post office was established
October 6, 1890, on Andrews's property, later the Kueny
Ranch, with Andrews first postmaster. In 1900, the office
was moved a short distance north to the locality. called
Wildhorse or Wild Horse, on property owned by George A.
Smyth, Jr., and Smyth became postmaster. Some local
referred to Wildhorse disparagingly as "Wild Hog,"
so Smyth changed the name to Andrews in compliment to his
friend. Like many other communities in southeast Oregon,
the population and facilities at Andrews declined until
in 1996 there was one house and one resident, Johnie "Cactus"
Smyth, a grandson of George A. Smyth, Jr. The house burned
to the ground in July 1996, and now Andrews is truly no
more. The Oregonian, December 3, 1996, pg. D6, has a short
story with a picture of Smyth.