Ashwood is a butte known as Ash Butte because of the
volcanic ash deposits on its sides. When the post office
was established about 1898, the word ash was combined
with wood to form the name. This was done to honor Whitfield
T. Wood, who settled in the vicinity in the 18702. His
son, James Wood, was the first postmaster.