L. Mack, county clerk of Benton County, informed the compiler
in December 1926 that he lived in Bellfountain for 13 years
and there was no question in his mind but that it was named
for a town of the same name in Ohio by local residents who
had previously lived in the Ohio town. In Ohio, the name is
spelled Bellefontaine. A post office called Dusty was established
in this locality December 6, 1895, with Helen Elgin first postmaster:
the name of the office was not satisfactory, for obvious reasons.
Postal records are not entirely clear, but it seems apparent
that the name of the office was changed to Bellfountain July
31, 1902. The office was closed in January 1905. The general
area of Bellfountain was known in early days as Belknaps Settlement.