Bridgeport Oregon 97819
From 1861 to 1863 considerable placer gold was discovered at
Clark Creek, several miles Southwest of Bridgeport.
were packed from Baker City over the old Creighton Road, crossing
the Burnt River, near where Hereford is now, and
then down the South side to the mines.
need for a wagon road and a shorter route to Clark Creek led
Dr. Jacob M. Boyd and James W. Virtue, in 1868, to begin
the construction of a toll road from Baker City to what is now
1869 this road was established. At the South end, where the
road crossed the river, was located the terminus of the toll
road. It was decided by popular vote to call the terminus Bridgeport.
The city was a vital link between early Baker City and the mines
of the Burnt River Valley.