Crow, Oregon
Crow Oregon 97401

Crow was named for James Andrew Jackson Crow and his wife, Helen Fisk Crow, who came to Oregon by wagon train and were among the founders of the community. The post office at Crow was established November 6, 1874, with Alexander Wood first postmaster. Will G. Steel told the compiler that the word Crow was a literal translation of an Indian word andaig, applying to the locality, but search failed to bring any confirmation of the statement. Crow station on the Southern Pacific Coos Bay Line was established several miles to the north on the south shore of what is now Fern Ridge Reservoir. When the line was built the place was known as Houston Spur, apparently because it was on the H. C. Houston donation land claim. The name was changed to Crow in 1917. This was not satisfactory because it was so far from the community. Therefore, in 1920 the name was again changed to Maywood Park. This sounds as if it were a real estate promotion.

SPOTLIGHT