Dayton Oregon 97114
was settled in the winter of 1848-49 by Joel Palmer and
Andrew Smith and was named for Dayton, Ohio, the former
home of Smith. Dayton post office was established on June
5, 1851, with Christopher Taylor postmaster. Edward L. Bill
became postmaster on May 25, 1852. Joel Palmer on August
2, 1852 and Cyrus Jacobs on August 16, 1853. The principal
landmark at Dayton is the Grand Ronde blockhouse in the
northwest comer of the City Park. This structure was built
by Willamette Valley settlers on Fort Hill in the Grand
Ronde Valley in 1855 and 1856. In 1856, federal troops established
Fort Yamhill adjacent to Fort Hill. Among the famous officers
stationed at this military establishment were P. H. Sheridan,
AJ. Smith, D. A. Russell, and W. B. Hazen.
was abandoned as a military post in the 1860s, and the blockhouse
was moved to Grand Ronde Agency. Mter Grand Ronde Agency
was abandoned by the government, the blockhouse fell into
disrepair. John G. Lewis, a patriotic citizen of Dayton,
fearing that the building would disappear, secured permission
from authorities to move the logs to Dayton, which was done
in 1911. The structure was rebuilt and dedicated to Joel
Palmer, a founder of Dayton and donor of the city park.
General Palmer was one of Oregon's outstanding pioneer citizens
and was superintendent of Indian affairs, 1853-57.
Museum, Aquatic Center, Turkey Rama, outlet mall, historical
district, Bald Peak State Park, Maude Williams State Park,
Siuslaw National Forest, Champoeg State Park, Willamette
Mission State Park, South Yamhill River.