Fort Klamath, Oregon
Fort Klamath Oregon 97626

For the origin of the word Klamath, see Klamath County. The Klamath name for the locality of Fort Klamath was Iukak, meaning within or in the midst, and referred to the location close to or between mountains. The fort was established with two companies of soldiers in 1863. It was an important post during the Modoc, Snake, and Paiute wars and was at a point about a mile southeast of the present community. The troops were removed in 1889. For story about Fort Klamath, see the Oregon journal, October 24,1937. Fort Klamath post office was established January 6, 1879.