Gardiner Oregon 97441
is on the north bank of the Umpqua River near its mouth.
It is a historic community of Oregon and bears the name
of a Boston merchant who sought to trade on the river. His
vessel, Bostonian, was wrecked at the mouth of the Umpqua
on October 1, 1850. Most of the goods on the vessel were
saved and moved to the location of what was subsequently
the town of Gardiner. The place became the headquarters
of the Umpqua customs district in 1851, with Colin Wilson
as collector. See advertisement in the Oregonian, December
6, 1851. The community is described in the Oregonian for
June 23, 1855. The post office of Gardiners City was established
on June 30, 1851, with Geo. L. Snelling first postmaster.
The form Gardiner City was used on October 20, 1853, which
was the date that Harrison Spicer became postmaster. The
official name is now Gardiner.