Irrigon, Oregon
1095 NE Main Ave
PO Box 428
Irrigon Oregon 97844
Fax: 541-922-9322

Irrigon is near the site of Grande Ronde Landing, a former rival of Umatilla. Later the place was called Stokes, and it was a station on the railroad with that name even after Irrigon post office was established. Irrigon post office was established November 16, 1903, with Frank B. Holbrook first postmaster. Addison Bennett made up the name of the place from the words Oregon and Irrigation. Irrigon was the scene of a promising irrigation enterprise, hence Bennett's style of name. He was editor of the first newspaper in the place, called the Oregon Irrigator, later the Irrigon Irrigator, its initial number appearing January 27, 1904. After various ventures in the newspaper business, he served for many years as a staff writer on the Oregonian and died in Portland, September 30, 1924. Stokes post office was in operation from May 26, 1897, until April 25, 1899, with Douglas W. Bailey postmaster.


Umatilla National Forest, Umatilla National wildlife Refuge, Irrigon Marina park, Walleye Classic, golfing, watermelon festival.