complier remebers when this locality was called Villsa
Maria. That was about 1910. In Apirl 1943, Father Leo
J. Linahen was kind enough to look into the history of
the name Marylhurst, and he reported as follows: "Since
a modest count showed that there were altogether too
many Villa Marias in the country, a more distinctive
name was sought. A Sister Mary Claudia (MacIntosh) is
credited with the choice of Marylhurst, or at least with
the suggestion of the insertion of the "l," for euphony.
This was in 1913. The mary part is easily explained.
The Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary try always
to put some reference to the Virgin in the names of their
schools, witness their St. Mary's Academies. The hurst
part is not too mysterious, either. When property was
acquired, the Sisters thought, as did everyone else,
that the proposed highway would be below their holdings,along
the river. This would have put their buildings among
the trees on the heights above the river, on the hurst.
The front of the College faces upward toward the new
highway, but the older buildings, Christie Home and the
Provincial House, face downward toward the river and
toward the place where the Sisters thought the highway
was going to be built. From the new road, they seem to
be not on a height but in a hallow; they thought they
were going to be precisely on a hurst." Marylhurst
post office was established August 9, 1939.