Crawfordsville Oregon 97336
is on Calapooia River about eight miles above Brownsville.
It was named for Philemon V. Crawford, upon whose land the
town was built. He was born in Madison, Indiana, in 1814,
and crossed the plains in 1851. The town was founded in
1870 by Crawford and Robert Glass. Crawford died in Eugene
February 1, 1901. His son, jasper V. Crawford, was first
postmaster when the office was established in February 1870.
Information to the effect that the place was named for George
F. Crawford is wrong.