Gates Oregon 97346
post office that serves Gates was originally on the south
side of North Santiam River and
in Linn County. The office was established in February 1882
with the name Henness and with Jane Henness first postmaster.
The name was changed to Rock Creek on August 23, 1883. Later,
W.R. Robertson, then postmaster, moved the post office across
the river to a place called Gatesville, and the name of the
office was changed to Gates on February 12, 1892. This was
in honor of Mary Gates, one of the oldest settlers in the vicinity.
The name Gatesville was first applied to the place about 1888.
Mrs. J. P. McCurdy, postmaster at Gates in 1925, wrote the
compiler as follows: "There was much opposition to the
adoption of the new name of Gates by the older settlers who
retain the name of Rock Creek. A petition was signed to keep
the old name. The party circulating the petition got drunk
and lost it, and therefore the name of Gates remained." Page
Lake Recreational Area (Reservoir) (Army Corp of Engineers),
HooDoo Ski Area and nearby snow parks, Fisheries Bend-BLM,
Elkhorn Golf Course (9 holes), Detroit State Park, Mongold
State Park, Santiam State Park, Silver Falls State Park,
Willamette National Forest, Detroit Ranger District, Opal
Creek, Whispering Falls, Marion, Packsaddle, Niagra.